Eleanor ‘Nell’ Watson is a Machine Intelligence engineer who worked to pioneer Deep Machine Vision which enables fast and accurate body measurement from just two photos.
In sharing her knowledge as AI Faculty at Singularity University and author of Machine Intelligence courseware for O’Reilly Media, she realized the importance of protecting human rights and putting ethics, safety, and the values of human spirit into A.I.
Nell serves as Chair & Vice-Chair respectively of the IEEE’s ECPAIS Transparency Experts Focus Group, and P7001 Transparency of Autonomous Systems committee on AI Ethics & Safety, engineering credit score-like mechanisms to safeguard algorithmic trust.
She also chairs EthicsNet.org, a community teaching pro-social behaviors to machines, CulturalPeace.org, crafting Geneva Conventions-style rules for cultural conflict, and Pacha.org, connecting a network of service providers to help enable the automated accounting of externalities such as pollution.
Nell serves as Senior Scientific Advisor to The Future Society at Harvard, and holds Fellowships from the British Computing Society, and Royal Statistical Society, among others. Her public speaking has inspired audiences to work towards a brighter future at venues such as The World Bank, The United Nations General Assembly, and The Royal Society.
- Technology Innovation/Entrepreneurial Skills: Possess exceptional entrepreneurial skills demonstrated through start-up, ownership and management of 4+ thriving ventures/organizations; hiring, training and overseeing employees, and successfully running the companies, while enduring market volatility and economic turmoil for close to 6 years.
- Public Speaking/Education Skills: Outstanding oral/written communication skills displayed through effectively delivering numerous high-impact lectures, talks and presentations in various platforms. Presents complex technical information in accessible terms for specific audiences, make sense of science and interpret the latest technology advances.
- Business Management: Expert at incorporating innovative business and operations management techniques that result in enhanced business practices, reduced costs and increased productivity Adept at developing and implementing organizational strategies that capitalize on development opportunities through research and analysis as well as sound business instincts.
- Mentoring and Lecturing: Well-versed in designing challenging, enriching and innovative technology lesson plans/ activities, facilitating class discussions, guiding as well as explaining complicated scientific and technology concepts in an easily understandable manner whilst utilizing unique teaching strategies.
- Project/Program Management: Proficient at developing technology project plans, coordinating resources, building, training and overseeing high-performance project teams, controlling budgets, preparing and presenting progress reports, as well as managing delivery performance. Successfully headed various complex projects/programs such as certification standards.